The World Of ABC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The World Of ABC

Site Under New Managment

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

comon pc help = plz read

Go down 
+2
Chetgirl
ravstar
6 posters
AuthorMessage
ravstar
Administrator & Legend

comon pc help = plz read Empty
PostSubject: comon pc help = plz read   comon pc help = plz read I_icon_minitimeMon May 25, 2009 6:01 am

I went searching today so we wouldn't have to work on so many common issues.

The main thing I figured I would just fully put up since it is one of the most common issues is the network issues. That way we can direct people here to read this first before we go one on one with them.

(Note, not all of this is my intellectual material. I'm not claiming it.)

PSPISO or myself is not responsible for anything you may download from these websites. If you download something be sure to run a full virus scan to make sure you haven't gotten a virus. If you have any websites that you'd like to have added to this list or a addition to the help please PM me and I'll be sure to add it and give you proper credit.

Problem: I cannot see people on my network using "My Network Places" or "Network Neighborhood" and they cannot see me, yet I can use the Internet!

Solution: You are probably on a different subnet than the others. Open up your TCP/IP configuration in Windows and change your subnet mask to whatever the other people are.

Problem: I have rejoined another workgroup; yet, both the new one and the old one show up in "My Network Places" or "Network Neighborhood."

Solution: Give it about 30 minutes. The Windows browser service is screwed up.

Problem: I cannot access the Internet but my friends can!

Solution: Make sure that you have the same TCP/IP settings as the rest of the people (except for IP address - make sure it is unique). If the other people obtain their IP's automatically, do the same for your computer. Then, open a command prompt [Start->Run->Cmd] and type in ping www.google.com. If it says "Request Timed Out." then you still cannot connect to the Internet. So, we will continue. See if you have the Internet Connection Firewall enabled. If so, disable it and try again. If it still doesn't work, check to see if your cables are snug in both ends and to see if both the hub/switch/router and your network adapter are both blinking. Next, go back to command prompt and type in ipconfig /release. Wait a bit, then type ipconfig /renew. If you do all this and your Internet still does not work, then restart your computer and pray.

Problem: I cannot host a game over the Internet.

Solution: Usually has something to do with routers. Find out which port(s) that your game uses. Then, in your router configuration (usually located at 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.254.254), go to the "Port Forwarding" section. Forward requests from the port(s) needed by your game to your computer's ip address (you can find it by typing in ipconfig /all or winipcfg). Then, you are set!

Problem: I cannot join a domain from a computer that is otherwise perfectly configured for networking.

Solution: The most likely reason for this occurring is that your domain requires an Administrator's login and password to confirm a computer joining a domain. When the box comes up that requests a username/password for your domain have your domain admin type in his or her password. The computer will then require a restart, and when it has restarted, you will be able to login to your domain with your own username and password. Don't forget to update your user settings on your own computer!

Problem: I cannot ping localhost or 127.0.0.1

Solution: TCP/IP is not installed. Install it using the Network Connections properties configuration screen.

Problem: When I plug in a network cable into my NIC, the "Link" light does not light up like it should be doing.

Solution: This could be due to three problems. I will list them in the "most likely" order they would occur:

1. The "other end" of the cable leads to nowhere, or is not connected to any powered network device.
2. Your NIC is not properly inserted in your motherboard.
3. The cable is bad.

The fixes for these problems are self-explanatory.

Problem: Occasionally, my computer will bring up a dialogue box that says something like "System Shutdown In Progress: Shutdown initiated by my computerSYSTEM" and the computer is forced to shutdown. How do I stop it?

Solution: This dialogue box usually comes up when the RPC server on your computer is shutdown or crashes. The most likely cause of the error is that you accidentally closed down a "svchost.exe" process in Task Manager that happened to be the RPC Server. The second most likely cause is that you are under attack and you should immediately shutdown your computer.

Problem: I keep getting an "IP Address Conflict" error at the bottom of my screen.

Solution: Someone on your network is using (or trying to use) the same IP address as you are. If you manually assign IP's, then choose a different one either for yourself or for the other person. If you use DHCP or APIPA, type in the command prompt: "ipconfig /release" and then "ipconfig /renew"

Problem: I have a "10/100" network adapter (NIC), yet my connection speed is only 10 MB/S.

Solution: Well, there are a few causes and therefore a few solutions. They are ordered from most to least likely.

1. Your Ethernet hub does not support 100 MB/S. Buy a hub that does.
2. Your adapter is improperly configured. Go to your Adapter settings and change it to "Auto-Negotiation."
3. There is a bottleneck in your network. If you are trying to connect over a WAN (such as the Internet) realize that you will never achieve full 100 MB/S or even 10 MB/S for that matter. Run tracert to find bottlenecks, and then consider an alternate route or a different routing protocol (if the option is available).
4. The end that you are communicating with does not have a 10/100 NIC. Buy the other computer a 10/100 MB/S. card.
Back to top Go down
https://were.all-up.com
Chetgirl
Global Moderator
Chetgirl

PostSubject: Re: comon pc help = plz read   comon pc help = plz read I_icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 6:01 am

any pictures ? + thanks
Back to top Go down
ravstar
Administrator & Legend

PostSubject: Re: comon pc help = plz read   comon pc help = plz read I_icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 7:44 am

i will ad some
Back to top Go down
Mitshopper
Mitshopper

PostSubject: Re: comon pc help = plz read   comon pc help = plz read I_icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2009 8:47 am

thanks !
Back to top Go down
ravstar
Administrator & Legend

PostSubject: Re: comon pc help = plz read   comon pc help = plz read I_icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2009 3:44 am

no problem Razz Very Happy Smile
Back to top Go down
Chetgirl
Global Moderator
Chetgirl

PostSubject: Re: comon pc help = plz read   comon pc help = plz read I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 07, 2009 7:53 am

were are the pics lol
Back to top Go down
ravstar
Administrator & Legend

PostSubject: Re: comon pc help = plz read   comon pc help = plz read I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 07, 2009 9:56 am

there will not be 1
Back to top Go down
Bedford Alternative Music
Bedford Alternative Music

PostSubject: Re: comon pc help = plz read   comon pc help = plz read I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 07, 2009 12:37 pm

Smile this happened in my forum as well can i copy & paste this Razz
Back to top Go down
ravstar
Administrator & Legend

PostSubject: Re: comon pc help = plz read   comon pc help = plz read I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2009 3:04 am

Razz yes you can lol feel free btw thanks +k flower
Back to top Go down
King Jerry
Universal & Hero Member
Universal & Hero Member
King Jerry

PostSubject: Re: comon pc help = plz read   comon pc help = plz read I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 11, 2009 12:35 pm

reported no1 postin!
Back to top Go down
ravstar
Administrator & Legend

PostSubject: Re: comon pc help = plz read   comon pc help = plz read I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2009 12:13 pm

please dont report if no 1 posts remember we only have 20 members
Back to top Go down
Chetgirl
Global Moderator
Chetgirl

PostSubject: Re: comon pc help = plz read   comon pc help = plz read I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2009 11:50 am

agreed
Back to top Go down
ravstar
Administrator & Legend

PostSubject: Re: comon pc help = plz read   comon pc help = plz read I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 05, 2009 8:01 am

NOW STICK 2 TOPIC PPL WERE GETTING THERE
Back to top Go down
Chetgirl
Global Moderator
Chetgirl

PostSubject: Re: comon pc help = plz read   comon pc help = plz read I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 23, 2009 6:21 pm

thanks 4 this

could you give sum tuts
Back to top Go down
Google
Noob

PostSubject: Re: comon pc help = plz read   comon pc help = plz read I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 2:30 pm

dankasean
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: comon pc help = plz read   comon pc help = plz read I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

comon pc help = plz read
Page 1 of 1