The World Of ABC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The World Of ABC

Site Under New Managment

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Thousands of jellyfish washed ashore in Cornwall

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
ravstar
Administrator & Legend

Thousands of jellyfish washed ashore in Cornwall Empty
PostSubject: Thousands of jellyfish washed ashore in Cornwall   Thousands of jellyfish washed ashore in Cornwall I_icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2009 9:00 am

One of the thousands of tiny jellyfish, that have become stranded on beaches around Penzance.

Beachgoers mistook the carpet of blue creatures for an oil slick after they were washed ashore near Penzance on the south Cornish coast.
However, on closer inspection, they were found to be thousands of jellyfish and council officials contacted marine experts fearing that they could be dangerous.

Staff at Blue Reef Aquarium in Newquay, Cornwall, later identified them as By-the-wind Sailors – a harmless relative of the deadly Portuguese man-of-war jellyfish.
Their stranding is thought to coincide with the warming of coastal waters and recent storms which have battered the south west coast, the aquarium said.
The jellyfish, also known as Velella velella, use an upright part of their body to catch the wind and carry them around the world's oceans in search of food.
They can reach 10cm in length and can travel tens of thousands of miles on wind power alone.
Although not dangerous, they can cause mild skin irritation.
Blue Reef's David Waines said: "By-the-wind Sailors travel the world's oceans in huge flotillas sometimes made up of hundreds of thousands and even millions of individuals.
"They each measure around seven to 10cm in length are bright blue and distinguished by a gas-filled float that rises above the surface of the water.
"This forms a buoyant sail by which they are blown along.
"However if prevailing winds change direction, by-the-wind-sailors may wash up on beaches in great numbers.
"They are predators and use their dangling tentacles to catch small invertebrates and fish.
"They do have a small sting to capture their prey but most humans would feel only a tingle if they had sensitive skin."
Each by-the-wind-sailor is actually a colonial animal made up of many individual polyps.
Velella velella occur in warm and temperate waters in all the world's oceans and are classed as colonial hydroid and not jellyfish which they resemble.
They are only thought to live for around a month.
A spokesman for Cornwall Wildlife Trust said they do not pose a threat to humans or pets but it is advisable not to touch your face or eyes if you have handled them and always wash your hands anyway after handling anything stranded on the beach.
She added: "It could be global warming because over the last few years there has been a lot of reports of his happening."
Sue Nicholls, beach manager for Cornwall Council environmental services department , added: "At first it looks like an oil slick has been washed up because the jellyfish look shiny and dark on the beach.
"We've had very strong winds recently and I guess they've been affected by that."

discuss

source - yahoo
Back to top Go down
https://were.all-up.com
King Jerry
Universal & Hero Member
Universal & Hero Member
King Jerry

PostSubject: Re: Thousands of jellyfish washed ashore in Cornwall   Thousands of jellyfish washed ashore in Cornwall I_icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2009 9:08 am

Random
why jellyfish?
lol
Back to top Go down
ravstar
Administrator & Legend

PostSubject: Re: Thousands of jellyfish washed ashore in Cornwall   Thousands of jellyfish washed ashore in Cornwall I_icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2009 12:17 pm

why not affraid bounce
Back to top Go down
King Jerry
Universal & Hero Member
Universal & Hero Member
King Jerry

PostSubject: Re: Thousands of jellyfish washed ashore in Cornwall   Thousands of jellyfish washed ashore in Cornwall I_icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2009 9:18 am

lol fair enough
Back to top Go down
ravstar
Administrator & Legend

PostSubject: Re: Thousands of jellyfish washed ashore in Cornwall   Thousands of jellyfish washed ashore in Cornwall I_icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2009 9:22 am

stick 2 topic please
Back to top Go down
Mitshopper
Mitshopper

PostSubject: Re: Thousands of jellyfish washed ashore in Cornwall   Thousands of jellyfish washed ashore in Cornwall I_icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2009 8:27 am

how weird! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ravstar
Administrator & Legend

PostSubject: Re: Thousands of jellyfish washed ashore in Cornwall   Thousands of jellyfish washed ashore in Cornwall I_icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2009 4:14 am

^ agreed Razz
Back to top Go down
Chetgirl
Global Moderator
Chetgirl

PostSubject: Re: Thousands of jellyfish washed ashore in Cornwall   Thousands of jellyfish washed ashore in Cornwall I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 23, 2009 6:17 pm

there dangerous ppl lol :S
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thousands of jellyfish washed ashore in Cornwall   Thousands of jellyfish washed ashore in Cornwall I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Thousands of jellyfish washed ashore in Cornwall
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The World Of ABC :: General Category :: NEWS & STUFF-
Jump to: